Thursday 5 March 2015

Reading for relaxation

Over the last few months I have been really been enjoying reading a lot. I have found it has been a way for myself to get out of my own head space and 'escape'.  I have also been using some audio books as a way for me to enjoy books while I have been crocheting as well. I have been using a website called good reads for a good few years now on and off. I love how easy it is to track how I am progressing through books and what books I have been reading. I was surprised to see my list of books read since January had topped 11 books, which for me is amazing. I have always enjoyed reading but never quiet this much.
potter1I am currently reading the first Harry Potter book, and am really enjoying it. I have seen all of the films and love those, plus I am married to a HUGE Potter fan, so I thought it was time to give the books a try. I have nearly finished it and I am very near the end. Which is very good going for a Mummy who has had a 5 year old to look after at home with chicken pox. Go Me!!! There are alot of parts of the book that didn't make it to the final movie cut. Therefore I am feeling more of a connection to the books characters and the story that this first book is setting up.

However, the best book that I have read in the last few months is 'Yes Please' by Amy Poehler. I have been a fan of Poehler since the movie 'Baby Mama' but this book just shows her comedic talent. The2D274905957270-YesPlease.blocks_desktop_medium book is read by the author so she brings her own funny style and nuances to the reading (I used an audio book for this as I was crocheting a blanket for my in-laws).  The book is a mishmash of advice, humor, essays, poems, and she uses it as her memoir. Yes please, it is a delightful book to read, brutally honest, sincere, witty and at times very harsh on herself. She writes not only about the good things that had happened to her but also her regrets as well. Poehler also writes about her experiences with cocaine, ecstasy and marijuana, which is why I feel the book is brutally honest. And, of course, there's plenty of tales from Saturday Night Live with Tina Fey. What I really like about Yes Please by Amy Poehler is its intense honesty without giving much juice to the gossip mill. She is brutal on herself, and doesn't paint rosy pictures where there were none.
I am glad to re-find a new hobby that is helping me to relax and 'get out' of my own head. Which lead me to wonder; have any of you found books an outlet for your depression and anxiety?
Much love
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment